“Jesus went with His disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and He said to them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” 37 “…He began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38 Then He said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”39 “Going a little farther, He fell with His face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
Jesus prayed this prayer three times.
42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” 44 “…Being in anguish, He prayed more earnestly, and His sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.”-Luke 22
There are some scriptures in the bible that you don’t have to force yourself to memorize. They are burned into your mind; etched on your heart. There’s no forgetting them. For me, the Gethsemane Prayer is “that one” I will carry with me always. Here we have Jesus, our Sovereign Savior, having a very human moment. It’s no wonder why the book of Hebrews records that we have a High Priest, who is Jesus that can be touched. In this prayer we witness Humanity versus Divinity. A moment where sinless, spotless humanity submits to God’s sovereignty. Jesus sets aside His will and desires to do the desire and will of God.
God has chosen to reveal what feels like a very private and intimate moment between He and His Son, therefore, it is of great importance to know and study the will our Savior submitted to, the will of our Father.
He Has A Plan For You
- 11For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
He Desires To Be Intimately Involved In Your Life
- “I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.” Hebrews 8:10
He Wants To Bless You
- “I will make you exceedingly fruitful.” Genesis 17:6
- “I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.” Genesis 12:2
Above All He Wants To Save You And See You Live
- “I have come that they may have life, and they may have it more abundantly”John 10:10
- “I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.” Hebrews 8:10
- “The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. Instead He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”2 Peter 3:9
- “I take no pleasure in the death of anyone,” declares the Sovereign Lord. “Repent and live!” Ezekiel 18:32
God’s Motive – Love!
“For God so loved the world (You) that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16